Does it seem that every time you visit the dentist it somehow feels like you end up with another cavity even though you have been brushing, flossing and doing everything you could possibly do! A dentist near you will remove the decayed portion of the tooth and then “fill” the area on the tooth where the decayed material was removed.
According to a dentist in 92103 dental fillings are used for the following reasons:
1. Cavities of All Sizes and Shapes Require Prompt Dental Fillings
2. Even Small Holes in Teeth Can Benefit From Dental Fillings
3. A Fractured Tooth Might Require a Dental Filling
4. Dental Fillings for Discolored Teeth
5. Dental Fillings Can Help After the Gradual Loss of Tooth Structure
Your dentist in San Diego says that filling your tooth restores its previous function, look and shape and is normally completed using one of three materials:
1. Amalgam is the common silver filling used across the world. It’s normally not recommended for large fillings however as this can cause the tooth structure to weaken and potentially fracture.
2. Composite resin dental fillings are white, matching the color of the tooth, and are very popular due to their ability to blend in.
3. Porcelain or ceramic dental fillings can also be used for tooth restorations, because they are very strong and durable and suitable for situations where the tooth is extremely damaged.
A dentist near San Diego CA recommends that looking after your filled tooth will be no different to looking after the rest of your teeth. You should still brush and floss regularly, although after a filling you might notice a bit more sensitivity to hot and cold foods and drinks for a while. This can be heightened further if the filling was deep but if you have any concerns talk to us straight away. Damaged tooth can be fixed with a filling. Dental fillings in San Diego, CA last for many years on an average but needs annual regular checkups.